For more information, call our office number from 9am-5pm on
0207 614 1801
Supporting Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse (SASCA)
Supporting Adult Survivors of Childhood Abuse (SASCA) is a specialist NAPAC training initiative, which was set up with funding from the Home Office. This one-day course is aimed at anyone who works with adult survivors of child abuse, those managing staff who do and those commissioning services.
Key target audiences include GPs, police forces, prison staff, probation officers, social workers, local authorities, mental health professionals and other healthcare staff, call handlers, safeguarding officers and occupational health teams.
We have successfully trained NHS staff, police and voluntary sector organisations, with excellent feedback from these groups.
Our SASCA training provides delegates with an understanding of the enduring impacts of childhood abuse in adulthood, so that they feel confident in offering a supportive service which meets the needs of survivors.
What the course covers
- Types of childhood abuse
- Impact of abuse on the adult mind, body, memory, emotions and behaviour
- Common survival strategies and coping mechanisms
- Post-traumatic stress reactions
- Vicarious trauma
What you will gain
- A deeper understanding of the different types of child abuse and the broad range of effects in adulthood
- Best practice in inviting, listening and responding to disclosure
- Best practice in supporting, assessing or interviewing abuse survivors
- Best practice in responding to flashbacks, dissociation and other stress reactions experienced by survivors
- Increased knowledge, confidence and skill in working with clients who disclose childhood abuse
- An understanding of how to recognise and guard against vicarious trauma
The only pre-course requirement for delegates is that they have openness to emotive material and a willingness to learn and practice new skills.
We take block bookings from organisations to train up to 20 people in one session. Please contact email@example.com or telephone 020 7614 1801.
NAPAC can help you develop bespoke training for your organisation, provide speakers for conferences and more. Get in touch to find out more regarding costs and availability.